The Beginning of Discovery

Today (and for the next three months) I find myself in the Dominican Republic for an internship with LDS Self-Reliance Services. I was surprised by how different it is here in comparison to other Latin/Hispanic countries I've been to. Albeit similar to Peru by way of the fruit and similar to Paraguay in respect to the greenery, the DR is drastically different culturally than any place I've ever been to. But, in a lot of ways it is familiar.

Familiar because all the little old ladies seem to sound like my grandma and when I hear the old men speak its as if my grandpa is right here with me. The families cook in pots just like the ones back home, and the little beans that aren't really beans taste like my mom's cooking. So much of me is here. I think part of the reason why I'm here is to learn about my culture, because I am Dominican. Dominican blood runs through my veins- I wish I had made this discovery sooner. Self identity is such a huge thing. What we think about ourselves in many ways determines who we become. I feel like for all my life I haven't let myself be Dominican and I believe for that reason I've been guided here to embrace my culture and ultimately embrace who I am.

My self and Marissa in front of the temple in Santo Domingo


So, as I embark on my journey as an intern, I'm simultaneously discovering what it means to be Dominican and for that, I'm forever grateful.

Con amor,

Carolina 

Comments